Friday, September 2, 2011

ABC learning Chinese

As Chinese parents living in the US with 2 ABC (America born Chinese) boys, learning Chinese comes naturally to my mind from time to time. My husband and I have always been questioned about how do you plan to teach Chinese to your sons?

While some parents will enroll their kids in once a week Chinese class, or, like me, who bought some books to read and teach my kids Chinese and communicate with them via both English and Chinese, I know some parents who go to the extreme - They only speak Chinese with their kids. If the kid communicate in English, they punish them as they believe
1. Their kids will learn English eventually as they live in the states
2. They don't want their Chinese accent to affect the kid's English
3. The more you force them to speak, it will finally become their mother tongue

Even though some of the above thoughts are partially true, I rarely see a truly successful case. All the kids I know grow up with English being their mother tongue, at best, they can speak decently in Chinese when needed. Rarely would a kid also be able to read and write in Chinese.

Being raised in Hong Kong, I am bilingual. I can speak in Cantonese and English fluently and read/write in both languages. I can also speak reasonably understandable in Mandarin when needed. It is not because I am smart or what, it's because, in Hong Kong, most school teaches in both languages and we were being tested in both languages since kindergarten.

I just wish there's a school here in the US that does that. Where learning Chinese is not a once in a week thing, or some after school program, or some electives. When I talked to some mom friends, some of them would then say, 'Oh, that's too much. The kids already have so much school works, you don't want to push them to learn Chinese every day!'. But why? When all the kids in Hong Kong can survive it, and mostly grow up to be bilingual, why can't the kids here be the same? Why as a mom who go through this 'forced learning' to get proficient in English can't expect my own kid to be able to do at least the same?

As a mom, I wish my kids to grow up be better than me. I would love for them to be able to
1. Speak Cantonese, Mandarin and English
2. Read and write Chinese and English
3. In a career that make more money than I do
4. Have a healthier life style than I do
5. Live a better life than I do

Am I really asking too much?!

No comments:

Post a Comment