Thursday, September 1, 2011

Outrageous Kid Parties

The other night when I mindlessly flip channels while I am pumping, I saw a new TLC show called: 'Outrageous Kid Parties'. Being a mom who just finished planning my 2 sons' birthday party, I am curious how outrageous the rich mom can get when it comes to 'giving our kids the best', aka, spoiling our kids.

After watching that show for a while till now I write about it, lots of detail about the show have been lost from my mind. But I recall something like, a mom planning on a party with merry-go-around plus roller coaster where the kid find out roller coaster is not possible and throw a fist; To a mom planning for a party with rock climber as the birthday gift; To a party where the birthday girl's ballet classmates auditioned to dance in the little girl's birthday party... I am like, what kind of world am I living in now?

This is no normal spoiling... Spending 10K+ on a little kid's birthday party (some cost 30K or more), WHY? He/She will probably forget about it a year later. Even if he/she remembers, what kind of message is sent to them? Mom and Dad are extremely rich and we are the king of the world where we can request and get whatever we desired, the sky is the limit?! I have no idea what those parents were thinking.

I, in the eyes of my friends, am a mom who spoil my kids. We live in a nice neighborhood where we were blessed with a large property, with a pool and a private play scape. We do have the luxury to stay in resort to enjoy some spontaneous trips to Sea World. But, I would never spend more than a grand for a kid party. I still believe in simple joy where fun should be when we share quality time with good friends. Fun should be occasional spur within reason while spur happens when you are the one who pay for it via money you've earn. If you look at kids, they can be happy to just play with a pile of wittered leaves in the backyard. All those outrageously expensive parties, in my opinion, are all for the parents rather than the kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment